Dog and Animal Control

Animal Control Officer (ACO):  Kelli Wainscott

Contact Info: 

Emergency: 911

Non-Emergency: (Northampton Control Dispatch Center) (413) 586-1508

The Dispatch Center will tone out the ACO to respond to your call.

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Animal Complaint Forms are attached at the bottom of this page.



The Chesterfield Animal Control Officer enforces state and local laws in relation to dogs and other animals. The intention is to promote health, safety, and general welfare of the people of the Town of Chesterfield, including protection of the property of the Town and its inhabitants, and preservation of peace and good order within the Town.

Duties and Responsibilities

Duties of the Chesterfield Animal Control Officer include seizure, impoundment, investigations of barking dog complaints, removing sick or injured animals, investigation of animal bites, removing dead dogs and cats from highways, occasional trapping of wildlife found in homes, transporting possible rabid animals for testing, and investigating cruelty complaints.

Responsibilities include: To serve any process related to criminal or civil proceedings including impounding dogs found at large and notifying the owner of its whereabouts and transporting stray dogs and cats to veterinarians for immediate medical treatment if necessary.

Rabies has been now found throughout Massachusetts. When animal bites are reported to the Animal Control Officer, the Officer contacts all persons involved including the owner, animal's veterinarian, the person bitten, and the Health Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What do I do about my LOST PET?

Your first response should be to contact the Animal Control Officer or, if he/she is not available, contact the Chesterfield Police Department at (413) 296-4353. It is also wise to inquire at the local veterinarian's office to see if anyone had contacted them in reference to finding a lost pet.

2) What should I do with a FOUND DOG?

If the dog has a license on its collar, and it is safe to do so, copy down the license number. If the license was issued by the Chesterfield Town Clerk, the number can be traced to the owner. Call the Animal Control Officer, the Police Department, or the Town Clerk's office (413) 296-4741. If the dog has no identification, you should contact Animal Control Officer so that the dog can be picked up.

3) Should I take care of SICK or INJURED ANIMALS?

The Town of Chesterfield covers an area of approximately 31 square miles and is inhabited by many wildlife species such as bear, moose, fox, skunk, raccoon, opossum, birds, deer, turtles and coyotes. If an animal is struck by a vehicle or appears sick in your yard or on the street you should not attempt to handle it because its first response would most likely be to bite or, in the case of a deer, kick you. When an animal is encountered in these circumstances, contact the Animal Control Officer or the the Police Department. Injured cats and dogs are taken to a veterinarian for treatment.

4) What about RABIES?

Rabies is a virus which is carried by mammals. The virus is generally transmitted by biting and most often occurs when animals are fighting over food that is left outdoors. The most common animals with rabies are raccoons, skunks, bats, fox, and occasionally woodchucks. Smaller rodents such as squirrels, chipmunks, and mice are less likely to have rabies. It is very important to keep your pets’ rabies vaccine up to date. If you believe an animal has rabies, contact the Animal Control Officer or the Police Department.

5) What should be done in the event of ANIMAL BITES?

In the event any animal bites a person or an unvaccinated pet, call the Animal Control Officer or the Police Department. If the animal is wildlife that is still available, it can be tested for rabies at the Massachusetts State Rabies Lab. In the case of a dog or cat bite, the Animal Control Officer will contact the pet owner to verify if the cat or dog is up to date on its rabies vaccine. By law, all owned cats and dogs must have rabies shots by 6 months of age.

IMPORTANT: If you cannot reach the Animal Control Officer or a Chesterfield Police Officer, contact the non-emergency dispatch line at (413) 586-1508 and a Police Officer will be paged.

6) When is DOG LICENSING required?

Massachusetts State law requires licenses for all dogs 6 months of age and up. Dog licenses are obtained through the Town Clerk's Office (413) 296-4741 and need to be renewed every year. Positive proof of a current rabies shot is required. Contact the Town Clerk's office for complete licensing information.


Download this file (Chesterfield Animal Complaint Form.pdf)Animal Complaint Form[ ]239 kB